It sure isn’t fun when we’re feeling bloated and uncomfortable, especially, if we’re out at a dinner party, and, all we want to do is get into our yoga pants and, get comfy. What was it that I ate this time?
Our hormones are to blame. And, us women, are ‘hit hardest by “functional” gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, such as IBS and acid reflux’. “Estrogen and progesterone may make women more sensitive and cause their systems to work more slowly,” says Kyle Staller, MD, a gastroenterologist at Massachusetts General Hospital.
But, then, it’s also the foods…another culprit…”FODMAP” foods…’an acronym that stands for a group of rapidly fermented, poorly absorbed carbs and sugars that can wreak havoc in our gut’. ‘The bacteria in our gut will ferment the raw sugars and carbs, which can lead to bloating and discomfort,” says gastroenterologist Brian Bosworth, MD, chief of medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center.
Steer away from these guys to combat ‘gastro drama’:
- apples and pears – stomach no likey the fructose and sugar alcohols
- artificial sweeteners – these only stir up bloating and gas
- snack bars – the ‘fermentable fiber additives’ will do it
- garlic and onions – high in FODMAP carbs
Instead, let’s eat these!:
- raw carrots – has soluble fiber, which is easier to digest
- peanut or almond butter – protein, healthy fat, and nearly zero FODMAP sugars
- cooked vegetables – cooking any veggie helps to break down the toughest fibers
- oatmeal – soluble fiber and low in fructans, a type of sugar that the belly doesn’t like
- sourdough bread – before baking, the bacteria and yeasts eat up most of the fermentable carbs
- ancient grains – quinoa, millet, amaranth, and sorghum, rather than pasta
- berries – strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries are low in fermentable carbs
- lean, whole proteins – fish and turkey, low-fat cuts of beef, if that’s the craving
- sweet potatoes – rich in nutrients; 1 cup has 4 grams of soluble fiber
Ladies and gentlemen, for those of us that didn’t know any of this, we can do this! We will combat our bloating episodes! 😛
Love you lots,
Would you like a weekly newsletter sent to your email, with even more goodies to share with you? I promise I’ll do my best to make it rock and engaging for you. Please subscribe to http://www.lisasdailyjoy.com. Thanks!