Smoothies are fun for everyone! Our family likes to call them “fruit swirls”. Whatever your family’s name is or will be for them, it’s a guarantee your little people will enjoy them and, they won’t even complain that they are eating a bunch of healthy green stuff, too! (sneeeaky 😉
Here are some tips that we’d like to follow when we whip up these bad boys…to get the most bang for our buck, you know what I’m saying? 😛
TIP #1: Pour in your liquids first for the smoothest consistency. Then, do as follows:
- add in any powders (protein, cacao, superfoods)
- cover with soft items (berries, avocados, bananas, cucumbers)
- hard ingredients next (frozen fruit, raw fibrous vegetables)
- last, add ice
TIP #2: Soak your raw nuts, seeds or oats first.
- cover the item in boiling water for 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly, and add to the blender
TIP #3: Choose high-quality, easily-digestible protein powders.
- organic, raw, sprouted
- 1 tablespoon or 1 scoop to start; can leave a powdery aftertaste if too much is used
TIP #4: Bump up the nutritional value of your smoothie by putting in add-ins (1 tsp – 1 tbl)
- chia, flax, or hemp seeds
- or, 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. of green powders…spirulina or chlorella…or, 1/2 – 1 tsp. of wheatgrass powder; “good” bacteria…1/2 tsp. probiotic powder
- 1 tsp. to 1 tbl. of healthy fats…olive, hemp, flax, pumpkin seed, macadamia nut, coconut, and avocado
TIP#5: Add in an extract if your smoothie is need of flavor (1 or more of the following):
- extracts: almond, mint, vanilla
- fresh citrus zest; fresh herbs: mint, basil, parsley, cilantro
- ground spices: cloves, nutmeg, ginger, cardamon, cinnamon
- lemon, orange or lime juice
- raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
TIP #6: Use frozen vegetables.
- flavor is different than fresh (you just may be able to use broccoli or brussel sprouts)
- adds convenient nutrition
- reduces flavor sensitivity
- gives a frosty texture
*Clean blender right away with warm soapy water to avoid stress. 😛
Have fun smoothie making!
Leave a comment and tell everyone about a recipe you loved!