We make this quite often! Do try!
- 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 cup pale beer or vegetable stock/broth (we use broth)
- 1 (32oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14oz.) can black beans
- 1 (14 oz.) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne hot pepper sauce, several drops
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans
Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with beer or broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine.
Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer, then serve up bowls of chili and top with shredded cheese, scallions and tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips.
Enjoy waking up lots of your taste buds!